Willie Brown Confronted


Who Warned Willie Brown?

Prior to the attacks of September 11, 2001, Willie Brown, who was the incumbent mayor of San Francisco at the time, received a warning advising that Americans should be cautious about their air travel (San Francisco Chronicle 9/12/01). The warning, given to Brown eight hours before the onset of the 9/11 attacks, reportedly came from his “security people at the airport” as he tells it. On the morning of September 11th, Brown did not become aware of the tragic events until he turned on his television while awaiting a ride to the airport for his 8 a.m. flight to New York where he was to attend a state retirement board meeting (ibid). Around this time, District Attorney Terence Hallinan, called Mayor Brown to offer assistance. From this point, Brown cancelled his flight plans and headed to City Hall in order to conduct emergency management of San Francisco (ibid).

On February 12, 2008, Willie Brown spoke about his new book, “Basic Brown: My Life & Our Times” at the Free Library of Philadelphia. After speaking, Brown took questions from the audience and emphasized, “no subject was off-limits.” Little did Brown know, but he was about to be on the receiving end of some salient questions regarding his activities related to the events of 9/11/01. The Philly 9/11 Truth-squad unleashed a fury of questions pertaining to Brown’s early warning, backing up their claims with reports from mainstream media publications. Brown, while attempting to controvert the issue, contradicted previous statements he made to the San Francisco Chronicle in the September 12, 2001 article titled “Willie Brown got a low-key early warning about air travel.”

As Brown narrated his experience of the morning of 9/11, he created a sequence of events contrary to existing accounts. Brown stated that he received a call from “one of his people” – noting the caller as a female by referring to the person as “her” – that alerted him to the events happening in New York City. This statement stands in stark contradiction to what Brown said to the San Francisco Chronicle because he reportedly did not receive any calls that morning until the District Attorney Terence Hallinan contacted him.

"You know, you're the first call I've gotten on this," Brown said to Hallinan, as they were signing off. – San Francisco Chronicle 9/12/2001

Furthermore Brown replied to questions about the 8-hour advance warning by stating that the aforementioned warning was “a reference to the standard report that comes out of Washington, everyday of our lives. There are always those kinds of notices floating around…period and they did that regularly” and told the questioner to “drop it!” Prima-facie this claim is false because Brown stated in 2001 that he received a call from his “security people at the airport” which regarded Americans being cautious about their air travel. Moreover, the call could not have been a general warning because the deputy director at the San Francisco International Airport details that there were no warnings made by the FAA in the days leading up to 9/11 in the following abstract:

Mike McCarron, assistant deputy director at SFO, said the Federal Aviation Administration "routinely" issues security notices about possible threats. He said two or three such notices have been received in the past couple of months, but none in recent days. – San Francisco Chronicle 9/12/2001

As we can see, Brown’s statements as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle on 9/12/2001 undoubtedly conflict the narrative he delivered on 2/12/07 in Philadelphia. Only one question remains, who warned Willie Brown?